Monday 18 July 2011

Forbidden Fruit

I associate the making of jams and preserves with little old ladies, who grew up in a time before the Frigidaire. These little old ladies also knit doll's clothes for their fifteen year old granddaughters who might consider wearing said clothing as lingerie.

That said : I made a batch of marmalade - two in fact. I spent a few weekends ago close to Citrusdal. The orchards turned me into a temporary kleptomaniac. Not that stealing something as wholesome as fruit can be considered a crime. I must admit I do become irrational around anything growing on trees - I am often warned not to eat these strange things. I haven't died or fallen ill yet - so I must be really good at selecting the edible fruit, or I have a high tolerance for poison.

I returned home with a large bag of illegal oranges. I had to get rid of them somehow, so I made some marmalade - a birthday gift for my Dad. All evidence of my crime sits neatly in the fridge and pantry.




No comments:

Post a Comment